The MUD ROOM is now open with our first workshops of the spring season.
Resilient Food Systems with Fruit, Nut, and Berry bushes:
- TWO DATES (Pick one): March 23 from 9am-noon or April 22 from 9am-noon
- Explore the different food producing trees that are ideal for OUR climate and YOUR home and lifestyle. Presentation with Q&A to learn about fruit trees, nut trees, berries bushes, vines and support plants to create a sustaining eco-system to nourish the land, our bellies, and our souls. Answer such plant questions as soil types, water requirements, sun exposure, weather toughness, crop timing, pollination, guilds (what likes to grow together), and how to process, store, and eat.
- Why… https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/03/02/590056872/from-almonds-to-rice-climate-change-could-slash-california-crop-yields-by-2050
- Classroom session followed by a guided tour to see plants in action.
- For anyone that wishes to hang around after the 3 hour class, bring your lunch and we can all sit and chat. Plant nursery will be open following lunch.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE March 23. April 22
Raised Garden Beds and Garden Wash Stand for Compost Tea:
- March 25 from 1-4 pm
- Part 1: Learn about all the different raised garden beds used at Eco-Sense. In the Classroom, we explore the benefits of raised garden beds with discussion centered around:
- Concrete Curvey Beds,
- Galvalume beds,
- wire and textile beds,
- and wood.
- Materials used, where to buy, construction methods, hoop covers, and the pros and cons of the different types. We also spend some time in the garden looking at the different examples and how they fit into the landscape. Information handout included. Note: Hands on building of garden beds is NOT part of this workshop.
- Part 2: The Garden wash stand with compost tea production. In the Classroom, we will discuss all the wonderful features of this simple, affordable garden wash stand design that produces a steady supply of rich compost tea and a yearly harvest of worm castings. Then we move out to the garden to see one in action and together assemble a complete unit. This wash stand will be offered for sale ($350). If more then one person would like it we will draw names. Handout also inlcuded.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE. March 25.
Responsible Water Alternatives:
- April 1 from 1pm-3pm
- Gord’s most popular water presention for integrating greywater, compost toilets, living roofs, soil, landscape, and food systems in a changing climate. How to plan for extreme weather events of too much and too little water.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE. CANCELLED! April 1
Stay tuned for postings of more Eco-Sense Workshops:
- Compost Toilets – for home owners and a separate workshop for regulatory officials (after June release date of the Essential Composting Toilet book)
- Rain Water Harvesting
If you would like to discuss hosting your own workshop for RADICAL LEARNING in the MUD ROOM please email Ann (at) Eco-Sense (dot) ca to arrange the details.