2017 workshops, Courses, and tours:
Eco-Sense Grafting Workshop:
Date: March 30th, 2017 from 1pm-4pm
Details: Gord will lead the instruction to graft 2 of your own apple trees of choice to take home (choose from a variety of scion wood). Tour of food forest and perennial food systems included. Bring your own THIN BLADED SHARP knife… no longer than 5 cm… everything else is supplied… hopefully no band-aids required. Only 12 spots. Dress for the weather as we will be outside all afternoon. Suitable for kids 12+ and adults. $55
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-grafting-workshop-tickets-10101669365
Eco-Sense Grey Water Workshop:
Date: April 27th, 2017 from 10am-3pm
Details: Gord will do a workshop on grey water systems. Includes site tour of multiple existing grey water systems and associated regulations. We have two systems to install for first rate hands on learning. Thursday, April 27th from 10am-3pm. Bring lunch and dress to be outside most of the day. $60. Only 8 spots.
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-gray-water-workshop-tickets-32533711206
Eco-Sense / Hatchet & Seed Green Home & Edible Landscape Tour:
Date: May 28th, 2017 from 1pm-5pm
Details: We (Tayler & Solara) have recently moved into the suite at Eco-Sense, where Gord & Ann Baird have built an amazing cob-home surrounded by edible landscapes & gardens. We’re so thrilled to have the chance to live and work alongside them, learning & growing!
This tour is our first collaborative event on the land together. We’re looking forward to it and hope to see some of you there!
This tour will give you a first-hand look at some well-developed permaculture-inspired home & landscape systems, including:
- Green Building: seismically engineered load bearing insulated cob home + outbuildings; earthen floors, cob pizza oven, natural plasters, passive solar design, living roof, ‘Eco-Hut’, example of off-the-grid tiny home
- Renewable Energy: solar PV with grid tie energy & battery back-up, solar thermal hydronic heating with wood gasification backup
- Resource Conservation: grey water re-use, waterless (composting) toilets, LED lighting, extensive composting systems
- Rainwater Harvesting: living roof water harvesting, 10,000 gallon tank storage, 250,000 gallon surface pond
- Edible Landscapes & Plant Nursery: intensive organic vegetable production, mixed ‘food forest’ with hundreds of edible, medicinal and otherwise multi-functional plants; plant nursery open after tour (see plant list availability here)
There will be the opportunity for questions along the way as well as some time for snacks & networking at the end.
Includes: Local tea & some homestead snack tastings. Note: not a full meal.
20 spots. $40
Eco-Sense Composting Toilet mini Workshop:
Date: July 22nd, 2017 from 10am-noon
Details: Gord will do a short workshop on Humanure Thermophilic Hot composting toilets. Learn the 3 P’s of composting toilets: Pee, Poo, and Policy. Tour of our bathroom here at Eco-Sense in the main house, the very slick Eco-Hut system, the outside bathroom setups, and watch the actual dumping of toilet buckets into the compost. Good opportunity to confront your fears…and leave fecalphobia behind (oooh could have fun with that). 10 spots. $30
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-composting-toilet-workshop-tickets-32535409285