2018 FALL Workshops: Three water workshops. Link Here
Eco-Sense Eventbrite page is here. Click on any link to register online.
2018 SPRING Workshops.
RESILIENT FOOD SYSTEMS WITH FRUIT, NUT, AND BERRY BUSHES:
- TWO DATES: March 23 from 9am-noon and April 22 from 9am-noon
- Explore the different food producing trees that are ideal for OUR climate and YOUR home and lifestyle. Presentation with Q&A to learn about fruit trees, nut trees, berries bushes, vines and support plants to create a sustaining eco-system to nourish the land, our bellies, and our souls. Answer such plant questions as soil types, water requirements, sun exposure, weather toughness, crop timing, pollination, guilds (what likes to grow together), and how to process, store, and eat.
- Why… https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/03/02/590056872/from-almonds-to-rice-climate-change-could-slash-california-crop-yields-by-2050
- Classroom session followed by a guided tour to see plants in action.
- For anyone that wishes to hang around after the 3 hour class, bring your lunch and we can all sit and chat. Plant nursery will be open following lunch.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE March 23. April 22
RAISED GARDEN BEDS AND GARDEN WASH STAND FOR COMPOST TEA:
- TWO DATES: March 25 from 1-4 pm. and March 30 from 1-4pm
- Part 1: Learn about all the different raised garden beds used at Eco-Sense. In the Classroom, we explore the benefits of raised garden beds with discussion centered around:
- Concrete Curvey Beds,
- Galvalume beds,
- wire and textile beds,
- and wood.
- Materials used, where to buy, construction methods, hoop covers, and the pros and cons of the different types. We also spend some time in the garden looking at the different examples and how they fit into the landscape. Information handout included. Note: Hands on building of garden beds is NOT part of this workshop.
- Part 2: The Garden wash stand with compost tea production. In the Classroom, we will discuss all the wonderful features of this simple, affordable garden wash stand design that produces a steady supply of rich compost tea and a yearly harvest of worm castings. Then we move out to the garden to see one in action and together assemble a complete unit. This wash stand will be offered for sale ($350). If more then one person would like it we will draw names. Handout also inlcuded.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE. March 25. March 30
RESPONSIBLE WATER ALTERNATIVES:
- April 1 from 1pm-3pm
- Gord’s most popular water presention for integrating greywater, compost toilets, living roofs, soil, landscape, and food systems in a changing climate. How to plan for extreme weather events of too much and too little water.
- Book online with EVENTBRITE. April 1
2017 workshops, Courses, and tours:
Eco-Sense Grafting Workshop:
Date: March 30th, 2017 from 1pm-4pm
Details: Gord will lead the instruction to graft 2 of your own apple trees of choice to take home (choose from a variety of scion wood). Tour of food forest and perennial food systems included. Bring your own THIN BLADED SHARP knife… no longer than 5 cm… everything else is supplied… hopefully no band-aids required. Only 12 spots. Dress for the weather as we will be outside all afternoon. Suitable for kids 12+ and adults. $55
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-grafting-workshop-tickets-10101669365
Eco-Sense Grey Water Workshop:
Date: April 27th, 2017 from 10am-3pm
Details: Gord will do a workshop on grey water systems. Includes site tour of multiple existing grey water systems and associated regulations. We have two systems to install for first rate hands on learning. Thursday, April 27th from 10am-3pm. Bring lunch and dress to be outside most of the day. $60. Only 8 spots.
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-gray-water-workshop-tickets-32533711206
Eco-Sense / Hatchet & Seed Green Home & Edible Landscape Tour:
Date: May 28th, 2017 from 1pm-5pm
Details: We (Tayler & Solara) have recently moved into the suite at Eco-Sense, where Gord & Ann Baird have built an amazing cob-home surrounded by edible landscapes & gardens. We’re so thrilled to have the chance to live and work alongside them, learning & growing!
This tour is our first collaborative event on the land together. We’re looking forward to it and hope to see some of you there!
This tour will give you a first-hand look at some well-developed permaculture-inspired home & landscape systems, including:
- Green Building: seismically engineered load bearing insulated cob home + outbuildings; earthen floors, cob pizza oven, natural plasters, passive solar design, living roof, ‘Eco-Hut’, example of off-the-grid tiny home
- Renewable Energy: solar PV with grid tie energy & battery back-up, solar thermal hydronic heating with wood gasification backup
- Resource Conservation: grey water re-use, waterless (composting) toilets, LED lighting, extensive composting systems
- Rainwater Harvesting: living roof water harvesting, 10,000 gallon tank storage, 250,000 gallon surface pond
- Edible Landscapes & Plant Nursery: intensive organic vegetable production, mixed ‘food forest’ with hundreds of edible, medicinal and otherwise multi-functional plants; plant nursery open after tour (see plant list availability here)
There will be the opportunity for questions along the way as well as some time for snacks & networking at the end.
Includes: Local tea & some homestead snack tastings. Note: not a full meal.
20 spots. $40
Eco-Sense Composting Toilet mini Workshop:
Date: July 22nd, 2017 from 10am-noon
Details: Gord will do a short workshop on Humanure Thermophilic Hot composting toilets. Learn the 3 P’s of composting toilets: Pee, Poo, and Policy. Tour of our bathroom here at Eco-Sense in the main house, the very slick Eco-Hut system, the outside bathroom setups, and watch the actual dumping of toilet buckets into the compost. Good opportunity to confront your fears…and leave fecalphobia behind (oooh could have fun with that). 10 spots. $30
Registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/eco-sense-composting-toilet-workshop-tickets-32535409285